The new version of Mind2Tests is made available today. I am very proud of the result even if some further work has to be done (the help page for instance). My main goal is completed as the aplication is now modularized and as Mind2Tests is compliant with 2 versions of Testlink, including the last one.
This version brings the following features:
- Nested specifications and test suites can be managed, so multiple levels of requirement specifications and test suites can be defined in your mind maps.
- Nested items must be manually identified in the map by a cloud / boundary (feature depending on your preferred tool).
- A plug-in system has been implemented. The application is now able to use external tool-specific libraries for mind-mapping or test management tools.
- The libraries are installed by a simple drag and drop onto the application area.
- You will have also to configure your converters in order to set some values that are specific to your tools.
- For instance, you can use icons for priorities or requirement types in your mind-map and configure the corresponding values to return by the conversion process.
- The steps and the associated expected results are now presented in a Datagrid. They can be edited by a double click.
- You can set notes (feature in your preferred mind-mapping tool) on some nodes of your mind-map to describe them. Their content will be converted. This is mainly used to shortly describe:
- Tests Suites
- Define the way you work: you can define the structure of your test cases (node order / test properties).
If you already use Mind2Tests v0.3, you need to uninstall it and install the new version. This version is not signed so don’t be afraid by the ugly security warnings during the installation. The auto update is activated so you will get automatically the future versions…
I release this version as a beta version, in the hope that some users will send me some feedbacks on the current features, usability and add value of Mind2Tests. During this beta phase, I should change the distribution of the core application and its plug-ins: a new dedicated site should be open, giving access to the source code and a business model will be defined (the main principle being that the use of Mind2Tests will remain free if you work with free and open sourced tools and a small fee will be requested if you work with closed / commercial products). I have no idea how much time this will take…
Please let me or send me your email address, if you accept that I send you directly some more information, updates or questions on the app and its plug-ins during this phase. This is optional, the main exchange media must be the comments on this post or on the application page.
About the future, some enhancements are already identified:
- management of requirement dependencies,
- this will not be exploited by the majority of test management tools, including the native current Testlink version but maybe on some customized installation.
- more flexibility in the test case structure to allow the import of custom fields,
- direct import to database.
Feel free to send me more ideas, knowing that when the code is open, you will be free to implement your own great features… On my side, these enhancements should start after the beta phase.
I really hope that this app will make the life of software testers and some business analysts easier ! I’m looking forward to hear from you…
But it’s now time for you to play with it !